NOSTALGIA

The dusk was creeping, engulfing the town of Dehradun. The setting sun had over wee moments, left trails of its faint pink rays, entangled on colloidal clouds. It was a perfect after glow for those weary passers by who staggered pass on an old-fashioned bicycle after their day in, day out grind along the Saharanpur road.

We were aboard an air conditioned cab, cruising over the rough road from Delhi to Dehradun for our forestry course at Indira Gandhi National Forestry Academy. It was a weary day, traveling for the whole day, firstly via flight, Druk Air (KB 202) and then the cab now. Steamy-warm air impeded the atmosphere outside.

Ugyen Penjor, my only companion, reluctantly sat over the cushion, gazed at me with distaste. A vivid complaint centered over his shriveled face as if to say,'I am feeling homesick, I long to return'.

I felt the same sensation but decided not to exhibit lest I shall aggravate his mood when he was in need of a moral prop.

Really, I was feeling quite nostalgic, going down the abyss of my memory lane and reminiscing over my spent days in Bhutan, a country where joys are computed in totality of whole citizens' emotions and deemed indispensable over the materialistic gain. Trauma at heart seemed to escalate as the trees zoomed past us reminding me of the rich forest cover of my country, a familiar sight.

How I missed the sight of Bhutanese elegance, old men chanting mantras, repenting over their past misdemeanors, those 'Doma' stained teeth, youth in our national outfit, beautifully clad attire of women, the cool breeze and the way Bhutan did look in the dusk, my caring family members, our flag fluttering with pride aloft…..

Outside, it was a complete alien world; wastes dispersed everywhere, dusty road, and numerous noisy vehicles plying incessantly.

A query ushered in my mind, 'My God! How shall I spend whole two years in the country I don't belong to, be deprived of the regular sights I have been used to?'

'Only if I could return to the country I hail from and be a part of those laughing lot, sharing their personal stories of what they did during their carnivals….
I know as the time shall pass by ignorantly, I shall also be there in Bhutan to lay down my sympathy for those who are on alfresco studies far afield, behind the snow capped mountains, away from the land of thunder dragon, and express my 'sorry-feeling' to them.

Comments